[FM Discuss] Session 3 notes - Thursday morning

mick at mcin.net mick at mcin.net
Thu Mar 5 06:40:43 PST 2009

Scary news from the World Forum of Learning and Technology (where I
was a spy for FM) - these guys are the enemy.

http://www.latwf.org/latest_news-3.html

"Cisco believes a holistic transformation of the global educational
system requires a long-term, multi-stakeholder commitment from the
public and private sector," said Michael Stevenson, vice president of
Global Education, Cisco. "We believe the collaboration between Cisco,
Intel and Microsoft can serve as an impetus in creating and
implementing an international assessment standard to measure skills
and abilities that are critical for student success in the 21st
century."

"Cisco, Intel and Microsoft each have a long commitment to global
education and enabling and empowering educators," said Will Swope,
Intel’s vice president and general manager, Corporate Sustainability
Group. "The collaboration will help us to reach our common goal of
transforming education around the world. Specifically, we are aiming
to resolve the gap that exists between what goes on in schools and
what goes on in the real world and better measure the skills that are
truly needed for the 21st-century."

"As we continue to engage with government leaders, institutions and
educators, one of the most important points that is consistently
raised is the need for public and private sectors to unite in an
effort to extend access to quality education, increase graduation
rates and create a consistent way to measure success," said Anoop
Gupta, corporate vice president for the Unlimited Potential Group, the
Education Product Group, and Technology Policy and Strategy at
Microsoft. "Through this collaboration, we hope to inspire others to
join the mission because we believe that, together, we can make
greater impact towards ensuring students of today are better prepared
for the workforce of tomorrow."