[FM Discuss] WinterCamp ToDo Wrapup

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Mar 7 08:50:37 PST 2009

Hi all -

Marv/Martin and I compiled this list of ToDos for WinterCampers. Also, after
the list for WinterCampers specifically, there is a list of items captured
throughout the week that anyone can take as their action if they wish.

Thanks everyone for an amazing and productive week.

Anne

WinterCampers ToDo lists

Adam ToDo
    Clear up governance of the board, get them registered properly
    Clean up accounts (both incoming and outgoing)
    Finish accounting "books" for last year (and maybe 2007)
    Set up a blog for Ali
    Implement IRC chat for Book Sprints as popup (already partially
complete), Server acts as one user in IRC but names are shown
    Talk with Andy about recruiting for Cmd Line Book Sprint
    Coordinate FLOSS Fridays
    Make a maintainers list
    Add Zita and Marv to maintainer privs
    Follow up with Marv re: newspaper in New Zealand
    (Adam will present to board in April)

Zita ToDo
    Answer Questions
    Work on PR manual
    Write some more PR snippets, tidy up PR repository
    Document Farsi localization in the Localization chapter
    Work with Public Address blog to see about a fundraising campaign pilot

Martin ToDo
    Work on OBJAVI, preview, dynamic CSS drop-down list within OBJAVI page,
recording styles as Templates for PDF
    Get a quote for newspaper-style printing in NZ
    Work on 2-min promo video for educators with Mick
    Work on educator's materials with Mick
    Keep in touch with Design group
    Get our department to order every manual
    Teaching Inkscape with FM Inkscape manual
    Can we get an article in IDN magazine? Martin will investigate
    Get FM into educational conferences

Anne ToDo
    Get OLPC book on Amazon with Lotte
    Start work on Sugar Labs 0.84 update with Ed
    Work on PR manual with Zita
    Work with remote collaborators for Firefox Book Sprint
    Call Scott Abel about Firefox Book Sprint

Ed ToDo
    Write Question Answers
    Making a list of project ideas, send to Adam
    Make a list of education contacts, send to Adam
    Figure out how to price a workshop
    Talk to state and country ministers of Ed for contracts for books
    Help with Localization
    Sugar 8.4 doc updates
    Attend Upcoming Sprints
    Attending Pycon, can represent FM

Patrick ToDo
    Join Design group, Lotte and Patrick and Marv continue meeting, likely
weekly
    Get Mandiburg in the loop for writing a grant for the EU
    Make a style guide
    Revise/refresh logo and website style
    Create Spanish and French translations of Digital Foundations book
    Put titles on video that's for educators
    Organize NYC portion of Pure Data Book Sprint

David ToDo
    Start contacting entities with strong community basis with visibility
and biz sense as partners, perhaps to help with accounting specifics
    Work on Governance/policy with board members
    Keeping things on track, project mgmt,
    Set up tools to scale communication

Mick ToDo
    Create video from this week (20 minute and 5 minute video), then send a
version to Patrick and Martin for edits
    Do three courses - blogging, audio/Internet radio/ Video production
    Foster FM educators group, maybe an email list started
    Helping out with a sprint in Access Space with James in Sheffield

Douglas ToDo
    Work on Booki - first, the git backend, then Python interface
    Localization work - bidirectional PDF output, Burmese FLOSS Manuals
    Work with Ali to improve Farsi manuals language translation tools
    Contact Leonardo re: advert
    Make .htaccess file to "connect" .net and .org

Andy ToDo
    FSF Sprint is in 10 days, he'll recruit authors, help organize it
    Publicize the FSF sprint in Boston
    Get related books about bash shell
    Book Sprints could be interesting for O'Reilly to use as a book creation
model, he'll get people to observe the FSF one
    "Don't Flip" book outline, needs to recruit people to write
    General publicity - explain he's just a volunteer
    Interested in coding his idea for cross references
    (prereq: get Ubuntu back after a disk failure)

Eric ToDo
    Address concerns - make sure report process doesn't block work
    Scaling up board might be too hands-on, doesn't want to overreach, need
policy plan to make FM institutionally independent
    Work on governance structure and legality
    Write a policy that's ethically matching with FM's vision/values (Is
that right? Please revise as needed.)

Lotte ToDo
    Make cover for OLPC book with ISBN (Anne will send her ISBN number)
    Rearchitect website
    Send out new website page designs for review (front page/Read page,
Write page, Remix page -
    Get Adam to clean out accounting books and shoebox
    Get text for sections of website
    Link .org to .net with .htaccess
    Design a font for FM
    Set up design group communications however she wants (forum?)

Aco ToDo
    Get FM to work on Google Chrome browser
    Get bugs in Farsi site fixed
    Set up new bug tracker
    Document the vision for Booki so that others may comment/join vision,
gauging interest in Booki
    Figure out how to "tag team" with Douglas
    Work on Django front end

Janet ToDo
    Firefox Book Sprint in CA

Miscellaneous loose ends from our discussions this week (anyone may take
these as actions)

Devise a way to get a word count for each chapter

Could we get a statistics page for readership?

Dedicated page for chat history, basically picking up IRC chat history

User pages - can we make them more useful with features like:
    list manuals you have contributed to
    list rights access
    show activity, such as recent changes
    subscribe to other manuals
    Social networking, dashboard, set up preferences for WYSIWYG editor
    Send todo lists to a user page?
    CV page for each contributor

Booki future possibilities
    Attachments - automatically resize, resolution, manage resolution
    Drop automatic linking in chapters
    Better management of version and history system
    Output format possibilities - HTML, PDF, OpenOffice Doc, DocBook, DITA
(Darwin Information Typing Architecture), git

Tools for the writer users
    Online collaboration tools for remote booksprinters

Research how could Booki and Moodle share content

Book Sprints ideas
    Writers should be able to use FM immediately
    How to change the "incomplete" progress marker on a chapter?
    Have a real public space where everyone at the sprint can see the status
screen
    Should there be a producer for a sprint - who drives, gets food, carts
people, manages people
    Should there be a separate person documenting the sprint
    How can we make remote contributor's experience richer? We'll experiment
some with the Firefox book sprint in March
    Can we make the book sprint (or FLOSS Fridays) "follow the sun"
    Could we have a con call for remote contributors via VOIP/Skype to make
their experience richer?
    Could we create Book Sprint Ambassadors to encourage people to take on
sprints (as franchise/model/pattern)
    Work on Friday Night FLOSS/flash mob book sprint as a model?
    Planning for an Open Creation Tools Book Sprint in July

Is there an automated cover process via scalable SVG?

Sidebar bookstore
    Can we track click-throughs on the widget from other people's sites?

Can someone go to Maker Faires (at different locations)?

Can we get article in Make magazine?

Need a targeted list of magazines for both book reviews and articles

Generate press release at the end of the sprint - we would like maintainers
to do this

Flossmanuals content
    Searchable embeds of FM in other websites

Need more promotional items - stickers, book catalog, FM bookmark (design
team is investigating this)

--
Anne Gentle
email: annegentle at justwriteclick.com