[FM Discuss] FM in Safari Books

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 23 03:21:24 PDT 2009

Anne Gentle wrote:

> Is there a fast/easy way to get the XHTML content out of a book? I was doing
> some test runs with "Save as" html but of course I get all the navigation
> items around the actual content. If there's a Maintainer's way to do that,
> just let me know. Otherwise, please send me some sample FM HTML files that
> don't have all the twiki nav items surrounding the "guts" of the content. I
> think I see a good path from XHTML to DocBook on the DocBook wiki but I want
> to test it out with real files.

The first of these two links is an example of the "HTML" that currently
gets fed to Pisa (the pdf maker).  The second has been manipulated so
the images show up.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/~douglas/gnu-latest.html
http://en.flossmanuals.net/~douglas/gnu-2009-03-23-fixed-links.html

This is not quite what you want though, as it is full of non-html
elements like "pdf:toc", "h0", and "fmsection".  The actual chapters are
the contents of each <fmsection />, and they should be well-formed xhtml
snippets (unless someone has edited the source directly and carelessly).

I could write a script to output clean html versions of the books, but
*not* this week.

Douglas