[FM Discuss] Anyone discuss partnership with Linux Foundation?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:08:17 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Andy Oram <andyo at oreilly.com> wrote:
> I know FLOSS Manuals concentrates on books for large audiences, mostly non-programmer, but working with Linux Foundation may be worthwhile.

+1

> I've talked to their staff many times over the years and know they are anxious to get well-written and well-structured documentation out to their audience, which consists of kernel and application developers.
>
> This is an example of an audience I mentioned in mail a couple weeks ago: small but strategically important. These may be where the next versions of Linux and the next wave of free software applications come from.
>
> I actually can't find the documentation on the Linux Foundation site, or even a link called "documentation." But they tell me there's a huge range of forums and contributions. I bet it could benefit from a conscious look and a community effort.

Down in the weeds, on the second page of a Google search, I find this
chain of links from last August.

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/15/203224

Linux Foundation Paving Way for New Kernel Developers
Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Fri Aug 15, 2008 06:01 PM
from the map-and-a-stopwatch-for-flying-blind dept.
Programming Linux
Jack Spine writes "The Linux Foundation has published a how-to
document for developers who want to negotiate the hidden shoals of
open source. According to both the Linux Foundation and the Open
Source Consortium, developers can get frustrated with the processes in
open source coding, especially for enterprise-class projects like
Linux. 'A guide to the kernel development process' aims to encourage
participation from new programmers by explaining what's involved. Some
developers and businesses attempting to submit changes to the Linux
kernel find themselves tangled up with the processes used, according
to the guide, which was written by Jonathan Corbet, executive editor
of lwn.net and himself a Linux developer."

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39461788,00.htm

Linux kernel developer's guide published

Tom Espiner ZDNet.co.uk

Published: 15 Aug 2008 15:43 BST

The Linux Foundation has released a guide for developers who wish to
contribute Linux code.

A guide to the kernel development process aims to encourage
participation by new programmers by explaining what's involved. Some
developers and businesses attempting to submit changes to the Linux
kernel find themselves tangled up with the processes used, according
to the guide, which was written by Jonathan Corbet, executive editor
of lwn.net and himself a Linux developer.

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/how-participate-linux-community

How to Participate in the Linux Community
1: A GUIDE TO THE KERNEL DEVELOPMENT PROCESS

The purpose of this document is to help developers (and their
managers) work with the development community with a minimum of
frustration. It is an attempt to document how this community works in
a way which is accessible to those who are not intimately familiar
with Linux kernel development (or, indeed, free software development
in general). While there is some technical material here, this is very
much a process-oriented discussion which does not require a deep
knowledge of kernel programming to understand.

> Also (important to mention this) the Linux Foundation has funding for such things.

I'll bet that we are less expensive and much faster than whatever they
have been doing.

> Andy

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)