[FM Discuss] Editions [was : ISBN Numbers Summary]

Jay Maechtlen techwriter at covad.net
Tue Mar 31 12:35:57 PDT 2009

adam hyde wrote:
> hi,
>
> This has been a very interesting and educational discussion. I have one
> basic question - why do we need to update the isbn per 'edition'?
> Indeed, why even talk of editions?

Hi, Adam

When publishing on-demand, the customer always gets the latest and greatest.
Unless they buy a used copy sometime later. In that case, it might be
nice if they can tell which edition they're looking at. Could be same
ISBN but pub date and release notes in front matter.

If the books will be printed in large lots, then they could be on a
shelf somewhere for some time.
Eventually, it would be good to know just how dated they are.

As you say, not something to get hung up on.

Regards
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen