[FM Discuss] Editions [was : ISBN Numbers Summary]

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Mar 31 14:17:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Anne Gentle
<annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:
> Thing is, with manuals, there are no editions. Sometimes software gets
> updated too often for the writers to keep up, even paid ones in an
> enterprise situation. In that case, Release notes and Patch doc of
> some sort are sufficient. For Open Source products, those types of
> docs might live only on the open source project's wiki or release
> pages, but not on FLOSS Manuals. I see Sugar's updates the same way -
> there's a manual for 0.84, but it's not an edition. When we update for
> 0.86, we probably won't even need a new ISBN or need to call it an
> edition. There will be some of the six-month releases are not going to
> be worthy of more than release notes, is my guess. This 0.84 release
> is quite substantial and a break-off point though, so it's important
> to do a full book update. 0.86 may be the same way but we'll make that
> call when we come to it.

Sorry, I was using the term edition too broadly.  I tried to use it as
similar to major version in software development.  Anne and others in
this tread have explained it better.

A book can continue to us the same ISBN until there is a _good_ reason
to communicate to readers and resellers that the content has change.
These decisions can be handled as they arise.

david