[FM Discuss] ePUB

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Thu Oct 1 09:16:28 PDT 2009

hey

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:34 +1300, Douglas Bagnall wrote:

> BTW, very soon FM will be offering all its books in epub format.  Does
> anyone have a use for that?

heres a good reason for ePUB :
http://en.flossmanuals.net/about

I tried the ePUB builder Douglas made on the Sony ereader. You can see
here the Audacity manual. The index and everything works perfectly, and
(I hate to say it) the images (screenshots of Audacity) are much clearer
on the Sony reader than printed on paper...ugh...i love paper i really
do...

so...how many people have an ereader? i dunno...but i do know that this
is the format that Safari books require to sell content through their
channels...I am in contact with OReilly at the moment about this. I am
waiting to see what their licensing terms are. We wont accept anything
that is not free, but I have the feeling they will be ok with this.

As I said we are not a distribution channel. I was approached by OReilly
to see if we would be interested and it makes some sense to open this
channel to any manual that would like to have their content distributed
this way rather than each manual maintainer approaching them
individually...anyways...lets see what happens...

adam