[FM Discuss] ePUB

Joshua Facemyer jfacemyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 09:33:56 PDT 2009

adam hyde wrote:
> I tried the ePUB builder Douglas made on the Sony ereader. You can see
> here the Audacity manual. The index and everything works perfectly, and
> (I hate to say it) the images (screenshots of Audacity) are much clearer
> on the Sony reader than printed on paper...ugh...i love paper i really
> do...

Well, that's because they're at screen resolution and not print.  Has
this been addressed in the Booki planning?

> so...how many people have an ereader? i dunno...but i do know that this
> is the format that Safari books require to sell content through their
> channels...I am in contact with OReilly at the moment about this. I am
> waiting to see what their licensing terms are. We wont accept anything
> that is not free, but I have the feeling they will be ok with this.
>
> As I said we are not a distribution channel. I was approached by OReilly
> to see if we would be interested and it makes some sense to open this
> channel to any manual that would like to have their content distributed
> this way rather than each manual maintainer approaching them
> individually...anyways...lets see what happens...

That would be nice, though I think it will have to be on a per-manual
basis anyway, to some degree (some manuals aren't always "ready" to
distribute as a completed thing...those sorry Inkscape writers need to
get to work...:)

But it would be cool to have some sort of overall agreement.

JF