[FM Discuss] "CC" license without "By" -- similar to public domain but has restriction.

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Thu Oct 15 13:18:42 PDT 2009

you should wait for the release of the new platform that FLOSS Manuals
is developing. It is for exactly the kind of project you are trying to
do, ie. a "simple mechanism of public domain books."

the platform is called 'booki', and will be out sometime next year

adam

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 01:43 +0530, narendra sisodiya wrote:
> Dear all,
>      I am silent reader of this mailing list. I just want to ask , It
> is possible to have CC-SA licensing for books.
> Actually, I am trying to generate community created text books via
> Wiki interface. more or less similar to wikibooks.
> But I want a simpler way to redistribution. when I copy some CC-BY-SA
> license material from some wiki site, It create problems because I
> have to look the names of author from history page. Also I need to put
> a back link to the original article.
>      Imagine a situation where I went to wikibooks and then I liked
> one article. I took the printout of the article and give it to my
> friend with $1. is it legal to do so ? I think I am violating the
> license because I am not putting CC-By-SA license and back link to
> wiki article. I just want to have some fast process when taking a
> printout and selling won't be illegal.
>      Imagine a situation when I am remixing some articles from
> different sites and making a new book OR imagine a situation where
> some publisher want to print my books with/without modification to the
> text. I want a easy method to do so.
>     CC-SA license look better to me as It remove hurdle of
> attribution. but does it a valid license ?
>
> Let me define my requirement.
>        I am setting a wiki website where anyone can contribute. The
> purpose to that wiki site is to create a public domain knowledge
> repository. I want that anybody can take printout of whole or part of
> book and sell them for any purpose (without a need to edit and write
> attribution). I want that any publisher can download the booklet/books
> and print as it ease. When they print my material, all they need to
> give a url OR retain the paragraph about book repos and its url.
>       If they make any modification then they must release new book in
> such a way that the changes can be reflected (copied) to main books
> repo.
>       I am looking for simple license strategy where any publisher can
> download and print my books and sell them.
>       How can I do that.
>
> May be I am not clear my my requirement but I want a simple mechanism
> of public domain books.
Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
Email : adam at flossmanuals.net