[FM Discuss] "CC" license without "By" -- similar to public domain but has restriction.

narendra sisodiya narendra.sisodiya at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:20:03 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Tim McNamara
<paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> 2009/10/16 Douglas Bagnall <douglas at paradise.net.nz>
>>
>> Tim McNamara wrote:
>>
>> > I disagree here.
>> >
>> > Copyright holders can licence their creative works in any fashion they
>> > desire. If the only requirement for reuse is that the reuser also
>> > permits
>> > reuse, then I see no trouble with that in principle.
>> >
>> > The original author can waive rights to explicit attribution. However,
>> > they
>> > would still hold moral rights over the work. These cannot be licenced
>> > away.
>> > Therefore, I don't know what the problem would be.
>>
>> Well (trying not get all debian-legal about this) but once you have
>> taken away the licensor's copyright notice and license, how can anyone
>> know what distribution rights they have?
>>

> Simple. The copyright notice would be something like:
> Copyright 2009 Author Name

This is the problem --
Who is author here ?? Wiki has a large number of authors.
Lets imagine you have internet , access to wikibook and have some
paper. We both are sitting in a room and I am your customer. I select
one book from wikibook.
If taking the printout taken 5 minute and making a billing to the
printed books takes 3 minute. is it possible to complete the process
in 8 minute ??
No, because you need to look for license (even though it has
permission ) and then you need to understand it. May be the whole
books present as set of interlinked wiki pages, in that case you need
to download the all sections and put all at one place then print it.
After that you need to look at the author section too and you need to
put attribution too.
I think "booki" will be the platform where the extra effort will
exactly equal to Zero.