[FM Discuss] "CC" license without "By" -- similar to public domain but has restriction.

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Thu Oct 15 14:22:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 02:50 +0530, narendra sisodiya wrote:

> This is the problem --
> Who is author here ?? Wiki has a large number of authors.
> Lets imagine you have internet , access to wikibook and have some
> paper. We both are sitting in a room and I am your customer. I select
> one book from wikibook.
> If taking the printout taken 5 minute and making a billing to the
> printed books takes 3 minute. is it possible to complete the process
> in 8 minute ??
> No, because you need to look for license (even though it has
> permission ) and then you need to understand it. May be the whole
> books present as set of interlinked wiki pages, in that case you need
> to download the all sections and put all at one place then print it.
> After that you need to look at the author section too and you need to
> put attribution too.
> I think "booki" will be the platform where the extra effort will
> exactly equal to Zero.

yes exactly...we do this for FM now...if you visit either remix :
http://www.flossmanuals.net/remix

or the Objavi publishing engine :
http://objavi.flossmanuals.net

then you can get material in pdf. html, odt, epub etc and they all have
attribution

booki will model this but take it a bit further since in FM we use one
license (gpl)...to manage a repository with multiple licenses takes more
mechanics...

adam