[FM Discuss] hosting download files

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Fri Oct 23 18:44:08 PDT 2009

David Farning wrote:

> A few weeks ago adam mentioned that he would like projects to take
> more responsibility for hosting their files.
>
> If this is an issue Sugar Labs can start hosting its own stuff.  Two
> weeks ago I set up mirrorbrain[1] to manage our mirror system.  See
> http://mirrors.sugarlabs.org/ for a mirror status.
>
> If you want to off load file hosting because it is a pain, we can take
> take periodic snapshots and serve them from download.sugarlabs.org .
> Or if bandwidth is an issue, I can help you set up a mirror system
> using mirrorbrain for flossmanuals.

I'm looking at advertising the available manuals via an OPDS feed (it's
a variant of atom -- see http://code.google.com/p/openpub/wiki/OPDS).
Whenever a maintainer publishes a book, it would be generated in epub,
zipped html, and pdf and the feed updated.

Would this be of use to you, David?  Sugar Labs could poll the feed
perhaps daily and fetch the manuals it was interested in.  One reason
this might work better than mirroring is that the feed is less likely to
break when the FLOSS Manuals site changes (and its apparent stasis
currently masks a great deal of flux).

The OPDS will be a few weeks away, in any case.

Douglas