[FM Discuss] hosting download files

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Oct 24 14:56:46 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Douglas Bagnall
<douglas at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> David Farning wrote:
>
>> A few weeks ago adam mentioned that he would like projects to take
>> more responsibility for hosting their files.
>>
>> If this is an issue Sugar Labs can start hosting its own stuff.  Two
>> weeks ago I set up mirrorbrain[1] to manage our mirror system.  See
>> http://mirrors.sugarlabs.org/ for a mirror status.
>>
>> If you want to off load file hosting because it is a pain, we can take
>> take periodic snapshots and serve them from download.sugarlabs.org .
>> Or if bandwidth is an issue, I can help you set up a mirror system
>> using mirrorbrain for flossmanuals.
>
> I'm looking at advertising the available manuals via an OPDS feed (it's
> a variant of atom -- see http://code.google.com/p/openpub/wiki/OPDS).
> Whenever a maintainer publishes a book, it would be generated in epub,
> zipped html, and pdf and the feed updated.
>
> Would this be of use to you, David?  Sugar Labs could poll the feed
> perhaps daily and fetch the manuals it was interested in.  One reason
> this might work better than mirroring is that the feed is less likely to
> break when the FLOSS Manuals site changes (and its apparent stasis
> currently masks a great deal of flux).

I am looking at this from a sysadmin pov.  From a end user experience
POV, I am happy with the current mechanism of directing Sugar users to
FM for manuals.  Our marketing team might have a different opinion
about that.  I'll follow up with them on that.

I am just asking if the current FM download infrastructure is able to
handle serving all of the files or if you would like help scaling it
up by implementing a mirror system.

david