[FM Discuss] Python document generation tool; might be worthwhile studying for comparison

Andy Oram andyo at oreilly.com
Sun Oct 25 04:48:05 PDT 2009

I heard about this from a colleague and thought we might learn from what they do and why; just passing on the summary he gave me.

---

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/

Latest features I've found useful:
- Cross-site referencing (makes it a snap to refer to docs on a
related project in another location)
- Diagramming extension
- Automatic PDF generation

The extensions are incredibly useful:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/extensions.html

I usually generate JSON docs, upload them to my own server at pylonshq.com
, then allow comments in the template generated. Later I integrate and
update the docs based on the comments, and re-upload a new batch.
Works rather well, and enforces a consistency in the docs that's
rather pleasing.