[FM Discuss] adam and doug in SFland

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sat Oct 24 07:18:49 PDT 2009

hey

Just a very brief update. Doug and I went to SF for the BookServer event
organised by Archive.org. Archive have sponsored the development of
Booki and they paid for our flights to come over and do a presentation
about Booki and the work Aco and Doug have done so far on it.

I was going to update in a more comprehensive manner about the event,
but actually it got pretty nuanced with regard to either technical or
book catalog issues. It was interesting to us as so far as we are
building an authoring system and we wish to interface it to other
project (eg. Smashwords), and we got some good feedback, but apart from
this I dont have much to report on. Perhaps Douglas might have some
things to feed back.

We also met with Andrew Savikas at the event. Andrew wants to distribute
FM epubs through their (OReilly) service, They would like to relicense
the material for the distribution (we would not change our license but
ask the permission of the authors involved if we could license a version
of the manual for the purposes of dist via OReilly). I dont know any
details yet, so I await more from Andrew. I thought that if it looks
acceptable it might be interesting for the Inkscape and CiviCRM manuals
- perhaps we can talk about putting the money towards a sprint on one of
the projects.

After the Archive event I went to lead a 2 day Book Sprint with Leslie
Hawthorn for the Google Summer of Code. There is some talk to do another
sprint and make this book a more general mentoring guide, with advice
for any project in the free software/open source world which has interns
etc

Next up,  I met with the Mozilla crew, mainly Chris Hofmann (who is on
this list) and Chris Blizzard. We talked about more sprints and booki.

And in a few hours I meet with Erik Moeller from the Wikimedia
Foundation to have lunch and I will also mention the work we are doing
on Booki to see if it is interesting to them.

Ok, coffee, off to the city, then back to Berlin.

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
Email : adam at flossmanuals.net
irc: irc.freenode.net #flossmanuals