[FM Discuss] Alternative Party

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Sun Oct 25 10:42:37 PDT 2009

Hello,

We were at Alternative Party here in Helsinki. It is like a demo contest
with a lot of exhibitors and concerts. We had this strange Kino
collaboration idea, we made video interviews with Kino and then they are
shown on M2HZ television. They should be online next Tuesday. Some of these
people were dressed as cyberpunk cyborgs.

Printed FLOSS Manuals books seemed to attract a lot of attention. Several
people were very interested in ordering books from Lulu.com. We need to have
a lot more books on display in the next event. We will set up a deal with a
Finnish on demand bookshop when we get that far. It seems like there really
is demand for manuals in book format.

These events are usually a bit painful since I usually try to sleep in a
sleeping bag at the site. They had really loud bands playing so it was
getting kinda confusing after a couple of nights. There were a lot of little
robots to stumble upon, a lot of bleeping sounds, LARP cyborgs walking
around, and so on.

Soon we are finally starting the workshops and translation sprints. There
are various other developments too. For an example we are going to
collaborate with technical documentation and translation students.

It seems very hard to get writers to register. I hope that workshops and
booksprints are the solution to this problem.

I heard there is need for Open Source CAD documentation. Has anybody been
thinking about this?

--
Best Regards
Tomi Toivio