[FM Discuss] Summary article on Open Educational Resources

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sun Oct 4 00:57:49 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 09:42 -0400, Andy Oram wrote:
> Several people on this list may like the following overview of OER efforts, particularly the highly publicized California law:
>
> http://publius.cc/brief_overview_us_public_policy_oer_californias_community_colleges_obama_ad
>
> One tantalizing passage, which the article doesn't really build on:
>
> OER creates the opportunity for a more fundamental and transformative change: the move from passive consumption of educational resources to the formal engagement of educators and learners in the creative process of education content development itself.

interesting! I was wondering what the costs for producing the materials
in the OER program (Open Educational Materials) are? I am assuming that
the 'traditional' way to produce textbooks leaves the cost of production
with publishers? Does OER mean that there are more costs to the state
because the state has to commission the materials to be produced?

Anyone know?