[FM Discuss] epub format

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 7 14:15:46 PDT 2009

adam hyde wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 16:38 -0400, Joshua Facemyer wrote:
>> Does objavi offer an ereader pdf format?  I don't know if there's a
>> standard of dimensions for ereaders, but it might be good to look into
>> it.  Unless it's already been done :P
>
> you can format pdf for any size with objavi. the big issue however is
> that the pdf does not scale nicely in some ereaders and hence makes them
> almost unusable. epub is a much nicer format and is based on plain
> vanilla xhtml

Another thing that objavi doesn't do yet is scale images to fit
different sized pages, so if you make the page small the images will run
off the edge.

BTW, if you are making PDFs for online viewing, it is best to use 'web'
mode in the advanced options.  That will give you a PDF outline and save
objavi all the trouble of making gutters that you don't want.

Douglas