[FM Discuss] {FM Discuss] Article for discussion: Publications are not for peers

Michael Mandiberg mandiberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 07:10:36 PDT 2009

Hi Andy,

Interesting article.  You touch on a lot of the points that xtine
burrough and I thought through when doing our Digital Foundations
book, and when we were negotiating the CC license. Our goal was to
change new media art + design curriculum nationally, and
internationally. So we sought out Peachpit/New Riders' AIGA Design
Press, as they were the biggest authority we could find.

Similarly, I am thinking of putting out a series of artist monographs
of emerging cross-disciplinary artists whose work is not being noticed
because it doesn't fit into existing categories (painting, video,
sculpture, etc).  I am struggling with whether to self distribute (set
up a distribution entity) which is tons of work, but paves the way for
future books and supposedly actually produces revenue that can fund
future books, going the lulu route which gets it "out there" but
doesn't build relationships, raises costs and lowers revenue, and
trying to get picked up by one of the major distributors like DAP or
University of Chicago Press, which would mean almost no revenue, but
massive distribution.

Stepping back and looking at the overall goal of the project, I want
to create a book series that gains authority for itself, so that it
can gain authority for these artists who are being dismissed by the
other art authorities BUT it needs to be a series and sustainable to
accomplish that. The two are at odds.

Luckily I am too busy working on the next Digital Foundations books
with xtine (http://wiki.digital-foundations.net/index.php?title=Main_Page#IN-PROGRESS_BOOKS
) and won't actually have to make a decision for a while.  BTW these
are already CC-BY-SA licensed on the wiki, so no more NC for the first
published version -- we'll see how Pearson legal feels about that when
we send them our batch of proposals later this month.

BTW x 2, we plan on FLOSSifying these two books, and theoretically
could do that as we lock chapters of the digital manuscript.  We are
not at that point yet, but will be in a month or two.  If anyone wants
to help in that process, ping myself or xtine (xtine burrough <xtine at missconceptions.net
 >). Barring the slow and steady route, we will sprint it out when the
two are finished.  Thankfully, a lot of the web design book will be
focused less and less on the application, so it should be easier to
port.

LASTLY...  I sent an intro to the list a few days ago, but I think it
bounced.  If so, I've included it below

best,

Michael

----

hello FLOSSmanuals list

An introduction: I am Michael Mandiberg.  I co-authored Digital
Foundations, and helped coordinate the FLOSSification and translation
into Spanish.

I have an aversion to mailing lists, as my inbox is profoundly
cluttered as is, it took me several months after Adam invited me to
join the list, but I am committed enough to the FLOSSmanuals project
that I am willing to make this literally *the only* discussion list I
am on.  No Rhizome, No Nettime, No iDC.  Just FLOSSmanuals.

FYI, xtine and I are putting together some more proposals for books
for the Digital Foundations series with Peachpit.  This time we are
going to try to negotiate a full CC-BY-SA license.  and regardless, we
have already started writing them,and are going to port that to the
wiki shortly, so the content will already be licensed.  so there will
be a Digital imaging, 3D modeling, web design, Audio, Illustration,
and maybe some other books that might be coming down the pipe.

I understand there is an active Finnish and Farsi translation project
for DF.  Are there any others I am unaware of?  We machine translated
into French and German, but those didn't seem to progress beyond that.
Any updates on that from anyone who is involved, or wants to be
involved in those translations.

Onboard and now onlist,

Michael

----