[FM Discuss] We want to translate CiviCRM manual in Chinese Traditional edition

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 9 20:03:28 PDT 2009

Fu-Yuan Cheng wrote:

> Yes, the two letter suffix is "zh".

I lack expertise, but I am not sure that this is the whole story,
because "zh" is the code for the language but not the script.  A Chinese
Simplified translation would also use "zh", so there could be trouble if
someone wants that.  When people need to make this distinction, I think
the common method is to append a script code, so you get "zh-hant" for
traditional and "zh-hans" for simplified.

However, it might not matter since FLOSS Manuals uses unicode which
conflates the simplified and traditional scripts, so the same text looks
different depending on your computer's settings.  This has caused a lot
of fuss, but maybe it will help in our case.  Fu-Yuan Cheng: do you know
more about these issues?

Douglas