[FM Discuss] the booki vision so far

Chris Bryant chrisbryant at ucla.edu
Fri Sep 11 14:09:10 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 17:34 +0200, adam hyde wrote:

> I am actively pursuing more leads for funding for the Booki development.
> Below is a text describing the vision. I want to trim this down to a
> short doc so I can easily ship it off to anyone interested. So, the
> below is source material, any comments welcomed.

I have a couple comments and questions, in general, to start with.

Who are the intended targets?  You may need to provide a couple
different versions to send to different readers.  In my experience,
there are often different types of monetary contributors, but no matter
what the project is they are investing in, they expect it to somehow
offer a return on that investment.  The text you have will excite
developers and writers, but it doesn't tell an invester why they should
invest, what they will gain.

I would recommend a format closer to a formal proposal, though this will
not be as long as that type of document.  This is a sales pitch, true,
but it should also be a technical datasheet.  Invoke similar projects
out there, if any, that have made money for their investors.  Identify
specific technologies that are gaining visibility you can compete with
(Lulu, Bookemon).  What are your standards?  What APIs will you be
working with?  If any are familiar terms (XML, AJAX, Wiki) then use them
for the recognition.

--
Chris Bryant,
GNU/Linux Engineer,