[FM Discuss] Front and back matter, copyrights

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Mon Sep 14 14:55:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 12:57 -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Our online books don't have a cover, title page, or copyright page.

they are not books as such, just PDFs to read on your laptop. as i see
it there is no law saying PDFs must have a cover, a title page or a
copyright page. however we DO have a copyright page (actually pageS) at
the back. there is also a titlepage and linked table of contents

> They also don't specify the versions of software being described in
> any obvious way.

so, include that info in the introduction

> Also, the copyright information at the back does not
> always get updated when a chapter is edited.

copyright info is always updated Ed.

> The Turtle Art book shows
> chapters changed in 2009, but the overall copyright only goes up to
> 2008.

what overall copyright?

> Also, why is the overall copyright given as Adam Hyde and not Floss
> Manuals? Copyright ownership matters very little in practice, since
> the real question is the licensing, but it still looks to me like bad
> form.

there is no overall copyright given to anything. i have no idea what you
are referring to. we deal with copyright on a per-chapter basis. if you
create a chapter you get the copyright.

> I'm trying to find the version information for the TurtleArt book,
> because it has just been confirmed today that file sharing now works
> correctly, and I wanted to document it. I believe that this is in TA
> 66, but I'll check before I make any changes.

okedoke

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
Email : adam at flossmanuals.net