[FM Discuss] Front and back matter, copyrights

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Sep 15 02:07:34 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 16:00 -0700, Chris Bryant wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 23:55 +0200, adam hyde wrote:
>
> > there is no overall copyright given to anything. i have no idea what you
> > are referring to. we deal with copyright on a per-chapter basis. if you
> > create a chapter you get the copyright.
>
> I think, despite the desire to remain informal, this will be an issue
> for a while.  Coming from the GNU/FSF world, I understand very well the
> care that should be taken in defining a licensing scheme.

did you read the manual?

"When you create a new chapter you are immediately credited as the
copyright owner and the chapter is licensed under the GPL. The GPL is
the 'General Public License' and this is the license used by FLOSS
Manuals to ensure all content is kept free. For more information about
the license see http://www.flossmanuals.net/license"

http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/CreateAChapter

please also read the page that the paragraph links to (ie.
http://www.flossmanuals.net/license)

you may also like to read the third chapter of the manual :
http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/FreeDocumentation

that gives a long essay on why we dont use the FDL

thanks

adam

> I didn't include everything mentioned in this thread, but there will be
> much confusion if a detailed page or two discussing licensing practices
> and guidelines for FM isn't put aside for the writers.
>
> CommandLine is pretty explicit: (FDL v1.3 or greater)
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/CommandLineIntro/Credits
>
> TurtleArt as  well: (GPL v2 or greater)
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/TurtleArt/Credits
>
> What's missing are those couple pages identifying the _reason_ to go
> with GPL or FDL (personally, I'd only choose between CC or FDL for
> text/images only materials), or other licenses, and also, making sure
> everyone understands what that means to include the licenses.  Are you
> _sure_ that if a book has ten chapters, and there are several licenses
> applied among the chapters, that they are _compatible_ and don't put the
> creators at risk once those chapters are compiled into a single
> document?

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563
Email : adam at flossmanuals.net