[FM Discuss] Front and back matter, copyrights

Chris Bryant chrisbryant at ucla.edu
Tue Sep 15 07:48:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 11:07 +0200, adam hyde wrote:

> did you read the manual?

Yes.

> you may also like to read the third chapter of the manual :
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/FreeDocumentation
>
> that gives a long essay on why we dont use the FDL

Which is what I'm referring to, in particular.  Some work here is FDL,
which is what I would use myself, normally.  Maybe I make things too
complicated, but if someone is going to be allowed to change a license
for their chapter, I think a matrix of how licenses interact with, and
in some cases negate, each other is important.  You don't have all the
licenses someone could use in an FM covered, and someone could
potentially toss one in there that causes the work to have to be
relicensed before issue (worse case scenario).  Like I said, formal and
complicated, which you are trying to avoid :)

See the following for reference:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/licensing/licenses_summary.html