[FM Discuss] Stats for downloads

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 28 17:35:03 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM, adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 16:55 -0500, David Farning wrote:
>
>> Yes, bad does seem a bit strong.  On the other hand download metric
>> are very useful to projects.
>>
>> Sugar Labs and OLPC have specifically decided to host on FM in order
>> to drive traffic to the FM site and make people aware of the good
>> things happening in the free software ecosystem.
>>
>> Would it be possible implement an apache log parser to determine
>> download statistics and make them available to manual maintainers?
>>

> I dont want FM to be run by statistics. I want us to generate books
> based on what we want to write, not using stats to steer the ship.
>
> As I see it, showing a funder a quality well written manual that you
> have produced in 5 days is a pretty good argument to doing it again. if
> it needs backing up, get testimonials...any thoughts on this?

Having statistic is orthogonal to steering the ship.  Steering happens
at a mission, vision, and values level.  Stats provide information
about what we are doing operationally to achieve our mission, vision,
and values.

For example, when we do a media push, I track at our download stats,
website hits, and commit numbers.  I look at overall size of the media
bump and if there is any change is growth rates before and after the
media event.

When talking to potential partners, they like to hear numbers.  One of
their favorites is the fact that we have shipped over 600,000
activities from http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/ over the
last 4 months.  Combined with a 25% month to month growth rate, we are
starting to look at numbers which cause people to sit up and listen.

Numbers don't steer the boat, but they help trim the sails to make the
most out of the prevailing winds.

I'll see your 'steering the ship' analogy and raise you one 'trim the
sails' analogy:)

david