[FM Discuss] Stats for downloads

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Sep 29 01:00:34 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 19:35 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM, adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 16:55 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> >
> > As I see it, showing a funder a quality well written manual that you
> > have produced in 5 days is a pretty good argument to doing it again. if
> > it needs backing up, get testimonials...any thoughts on this?
>
> Having statistic is orthogonal to steering the ship.  Steering happens
> at a mission, vision, and values level.  Stats provide information
> about what we are doing operationally to achieve our mission, vision,
> and values.

I could not disagree more. Stats become the rule. I have worked in many
media organisations, not just this one, and I know very well what roles
stats play when linked to audiences.

For example, from Annes quote :
":I asked about stats at Wintercamp... I think it would help with
decisions and priorities. Prioritizing Online vs Print decisions for
one, is an important question we can answer with stats-keeping."

This is EXACTLY why I do not want stats. It takes 5 minutes to make a
book...why do we need to prioritise which one gets made? make them all
if you have the time and energy to do so or make the one that interests
you. I want someone to do a Book Sprint on Ogg Theora and make a book,
even though there is less interest in it than a book on the Command
Line. When stats come into the picture should I have first worked out
first which book we should have made based on the numbers? No. We make a
book based on the passion and interest of those involved.

If you want to know stats then host it somewhere that you get stats and
point everyone you want to that site. In fact I think more maintainers
should take responsibility to push their content through as many
channels as possible...why turn to FM and say "why dont you provide
stats?"...I could as easily ask you "why are you relying on us? why dont
you push your content through as many channels as possible?". Why do we
provide Objavi if you dont use it? Why, for example, is the Digital
Foundations crew the only ones pushing out the manual through torrent
networks? Why are the Sugar or CiviCRM manuals not also there? Take
responsibility for your content, get it out there as much as possible.
We are not your distribution agent.

Having said that, we will continue to host the content - because 1) its
free content and 2) because I believe content hosted on FM you gets the
benefit of an active and interested content development community - this
leads to updates, new versions, translation.

adam