[FM Discuss] Stats for downloads

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Sep 29 05:56:31 PDT 2009

> For example, from Annes quote :
> ":I asked about stats at Wintercamp... I think it would help with
> decisions and priorities. Prioritizing Online vs Print decisions for
> one, is an important question we can answer with stats-keeping."
>
> This is EXACTLY why I do not want stats. It takes 5 minutes to make a
> book...why do we need to prioritise which one gets made?

Ah, okay, this discussion helps. The context of stats at Wintercamp was
specifically to answer questions about improving a readers' experience with
the FLOSS Manuals website. Stats were not to be used to make decisions about
what books to work on or to compare books (or the relative worth/value of a
book.) You can write a book with one audience member or one workshop in mind
and stats don't matter at all before or after.

> We are not your distribution agent.

Ok, that last line speaks volumes. It explains why reader experience hasn't
changed much. I can agree with that now that I understand that's your
stance.

For the torrent, is it the PDF output only? What are some other examples of
HTML distribution? I know the XO laptop is one example, and at one point NGO
in a box was using FM content, though I don't know if they still are. I'd
like to explore this idea further.

Thanks,
Anne