[FM Discuss] Stats for downloads

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 30 19:34:02 PDT 2009

Anne Gentle wrote:

> Ah, okay, this discussion helps. The context of stats at Wintercamp was
> specifically to answer questions about improving a readers' experience with
> the FLOSS Manuals website. Stats were not to be used to make decisions about
> what books to work on or to compare books (or the relative worth/value of a
> book.) You can write a book with one audience member or one workshop in mind
> and stats don't matter at all before or after.

One focus of the stats talk at Wintercamp was the question of what
queries search engines were sending our way.  I remember, because I
actually did some work on it (in short: everyone was searching for
"inkscape").

>> We are not your distribution agent.
>>

> Ok, that last line speaks volumes. It explains why reader experience hasn't
> changed much. I can agree with that now that I understand that's your
> stance.
>
> For the torrent, is it the PDF output only? What are some other examples of
> HTML distribution? I know the XO laptop is one example, and at one point NGO
> in a box was using FM content, though I don't know if they still are. I'd
> like to explore this idea further.

A while ago there was talk of making debian/ubuntu packages, but it
foundered on minor technicalities and concerns about the manuals
becoming out of date.

BTW, very soon FM will be offering all its books in epub format.  Does
anyone have a use for that?

Douglas