[FM Discuss] UI Challenge

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Mon Aug 30 09:42:41 PDT 2010

okedoke....

so, the series of challenge posts asking for help with css, python, js
etc has been really super. we have solved a lot of things this way with
advice and help from the community (thats you :)

so...big big thanks to everyone that has come to the assistance of booki
through these mails :)

so...i thought i would take this a step further and put rather a bigger
challenge on the table. I have stepped back and observed how Booki has
been used for pdf design - seeing how people (ie. Mushon and the RDC)
are solving these issues. There has been some pretty cool things come
out of this. Mushon in particular has been very active on the dev list
(http://lists.flossmanuals.net/listinfo.cgi/booki-dev-flossmanuals.net)
and helped us work out a lot of issues AND he has made some big strides
forward with experimenting with CSS and book design using Booki/Objavi

RDC and James are also doing great exploratory work in this area as you
have seen through the posts to the list.

One thing that strikes me, is that I think we need to consider providing
an interface to assist people design pdf using the booki export tab...

im not sure what this would look like...but i think its clear that both
Mushon and RDC have struggled a little coming to terms with what is and
isnt possible using CSS for designing books and so it seems somehow we
need to provide support for this process with a more 'intuitive'
interface...

any ideas?...anyone want to take a stab at some interface proposals and
put some images online (or a 'dummy' static webpage as an example of the
UI)...

Founder FLOSS Manuals &
Booki Project Manager

Contact Information