[FM Discuss] UI Challenge

Martin Kean Martin.Kean at op.ac.nz
Tue Aug 31 02:29:35 PDT 2010

An embedded pdf source in an iframe? And then the pdf would have
to be generated first... and stored.
And could the future page designer include supported files like pdfs? For
example a PDF of a halfpage advertisement.

Awesome thoughts Aco.

Martin
-------------
well, we use webkit engine to render html to pdf (plus some other
tools). and as you guessed, it is not really possible to use browser
engine (not even when it is webkit based, because it might not be the
same version of webkit) to make preview pages. you must support all
the features, bugs, and etc... the only way is to use the same tools
to get 100% same result. and that means to use objavi to render it.
now, it does not have to be "download" option, it can easily be some
kind of embeded pdf viewer, but it has to be rendered on the server
side.

i started work on some kind of book designer (still just proof of
concept), would very much appreciate this conversation to continue.
these days with html5 we could do magic and we could for sure make
something close to InDesign :) anyhoo, tool should help with: design
for online version, design for embeded html version, design for pdf
version. it must support different "projects", make uploading of
supported files possible (images and etc), online cover design
(titles, images, text, scale, move, resize...) and etc. i think it
would be something
very useful.

aco

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM, adam <adam at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 11:58 +1200, Martin Kean wrote:
>> Fork yes!
>> This is not just a great idea - I see it as the future and will replace InDesign et al.
>
> :)))
>

>> I think the online page design tool might look a bit like the Try It Yourself tool, with CSS code in a left-hand window, and a 'page preview' in a right-hand window.
>> There might be check boxes and drop-down menu boxes eventually, but adjusting CSS code in its own window could be a starting point?
>> So would the OBJAVI! page be built on to include more functionality?
>
> you mean like this?:
> http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_default
>
> i think this could work but...im not sure it is possible to render the
> page in html as it would be seen in PDF...or is it? could it be possible
> to render html and show page breaks where the page breaks would be in
> the pdf (for example)?...
>
> aco thought about rendering an example page from the book being worked
> on and enable the booki user to download this. however...it would be
> preferable to do this only in the browser if it was possible...but not
> sure it is...
>
> regardless. looks like at least you and Rebecca are interested in
> this...want to try a few things and send more ideas/screenshots etc back
> to the list? :)
>
> (objavi options will be extended over time but not my much for now)
>
> adam
>

>> Nartin

 http://www.binarni.net/

This email has been scrubbed for your protection by SMX.
For more information visit http://smxemail.com