[FM Discuss] Modified PDF for MYOSA

Rebecca Hargrave Malamud webchick at invisible.net
Fri Aug 27 08:39:49 PDT 2010

Hi, James -

The RDC has been supporting the FLOSS Manual/Booki paradigm as well. I
think both are wonderful pieces of software.

 >What kind of page breaks are you seeing?

I am seeing images split, blank pages, and the premature section
headings as you describe. Christopher sent a couple of screen shots
(http://ruraldesigncollective.org/lab/ebook/ebookcss1.JPG and
http://ruraldesigncollective.org/lab/ebook/ebookcss2.JPG), but I don't
think they are indicative of the screenshot problem - we will be working
more today, and I will post results.

Since the CSS for the onscreen version does not match the output in FM
and Booki (http://booki-dev.flossmanuals.net/ticket/215), we decided
very early  in our workflow to edit the book in SIGIL (the WYSIWYG
editor mentioned in your book) - this aids the design process, however
we did not alter the HTML in order to achieve the best possible result
by separating the style from content. As the book can constantly be in
flux, this is the correct approach to this problem ... and this is how
the FM/OBJAVI world is structured.

So, I am not sure if having two versions of the book is the right answer ...

We are obviously going to need to freeze the edition at some point to
finesse details such as copyfitting, widows, orphans, page breaks, etc.
And then, whenever substantial changes are made, re-check the book to
make sure it flows correctly.

Designing for online display and print has never been the same thing -
so linking the two worlds together is an interesting experiment indeed! :-)

Rebecca Malamud