[FM Discuss] booksprint on collaboration in Peru - and funding/licensing question/problem

kikomayorga kiko at escuelab.org
Tue Jan 5 07:06:00 PST 2010

Hi Adam, hi everyone!
first,, my new year greetings to all of you,,
then,,

As i had previously written to Adam, on January 22nd we are starting in
Lima, Perú a booksprint on "collaboration experiences in Perú".

The sprint is inspired by a peculiar statistic from 2008, saying that "peru
has the highest entrepreneurship rate in the world". The sad truth behind
that statistic is that peruvians are not oriented to entrepreneurship
because of beeing able to devise any special opportunity, but rather that
people *need* to choose working "on their own" because of unconfidence,
built up over a long history of corruptancy, violence and diffuse sense of
identity.

So, the aim of the booksprint is to collect experiences of success and
difficulties for collaboration among individuals, companies and government.

But one "problem" has appeared as we started looking for funding. A private
university shows to be very interested in funding our publication, but
they´re asking for exclusive rights over the content... At that point i
suppose this first booksprint we are organizing couldn´t be "powered by" or
"hosted" on the flossmanuals platform, or am i wrong? As i read the FM FAQ,
it says that the content should be published under GPL... But sadly the
lawyers working for the university in discussion here still haven´t ever
needed to understand what "GPL" means (and that could take months!). We
tried to explain to them what the spirit of the sprint was,, that the
content should be available to everyone, (since it´s about usefull
collective learnings on collaboration). But they won´t fund the writing if
the content is not licensed to them.. thats the way they fund research
pubications....

Of course we are deeply interested in the FLOSS ideals, expanded to other
subjects different from software, and we do our best to find sponsors
understanding and supporting expansion of FLOSS concepts... But it seems in
the third world it´s still hard to make people/organizations change their
minds.... I´m sure we will be able at some point to find more suitable
funding for "free" production. But sadly not at this time.

So the question i open here is if it is possible to use the FLOSS manuals
tools for editing a book that won´t be GPL ... please don´t take me bad,,
i´m just asking and sharing our problem here,, it would be very usefull for
us as *for learning to know the platform*... I guess it could still be
possible to include in the writing "inspired by FLOSS manuals",,  but if
it´s not possible this time, i guess we can wait for the propper moment...

thanks,
Kiko

pd: As i think on GPL or CC, i wonder if it´s possible to include "the
figure of the sponsor" as part of the license, something like
CC-made-possible-by "xxx",, i don´t know much on licensing so i´d really
appreciate if someone can direct me to some info / example on that...   : )