[FM Discuss] the muddle the model

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sat Jan 30 04:52:51 PST 2010

well, my feeling is that the content is free and unless people from the
community take the mandate and try something like this out then someone
from 'outside' the community will. i'm sure of it. if you look here for
example:
http://www.scribd.com/

eg:
http://www.scribd.com/search?cat=google&cof=FORID%
3A10&cx=007890693382555206581%
3A7fgc6et2hmk&ie=UTF-8&q=flossmanuals&sq=Search#1188

there are already commercial entities uploading fm material. they are
making money out of it by having good content on their site. thats fine
with me. however, i would prefer if the people making money were from
the community...somehow it would feel better.

its a risk, thats true, but also i dont know of any way to make money
(even a little) where you dont take a risk - either with time,
reputation or $...and remember, its not just about making money, its
actually an interesting model for promoting the software AND FM...it
could mean that you get paid to promote free software and the good work
that we do...that sounds good to me...no?

my investigations into the print on demand have shown that you can
indeed print cheap books locally...which is MUCH cheaper than
lulu.com...so why should lulu make money? why scribd? why not you? it is
a small risk but if handled sensibly i think i the risk is minimal. for
example in Berlin it is possible to print 50 books at 6 euro each. if
sold at 10 euro each you need to sell 30 to cover costs...thats a pretty
likely occurrence if you choose your moment well

adam