[FM Discuss] the muddle the model

mark mark at aktivix.org
Sat Jan 30 10:40:47 PST 2010

On 30/01/10 18:00, Joshua Facemyer wrote:
> Huh?  DIY just means you've done something yourself rather than relying
> on someone else.  Pretty general conept.  The DIY part would be having
> the books printed yourself without having FM or someone else get them
> printed for you.  Meaning no middle-man.  Hence, you've done the thing
> yourself.

Sorry if this is heading a bit off-topic. My point was that exchanging
goods for currency can never be DIY, because it depends upon the
functioning of the economic system underpinning currency. So by taking
goods (books) and selling them for money one accepts the capitalist
model of valorisation, which is quite explicitly not DIY.

Its not for me to say whether people should or shouldn't do this, I'm
just pointing out that there is a significant political dimension to the
decision. One of the moral dimensions of Free Software that attracts me
is that it can be used to resist commodification and build social
relations that exist outside of the usual models of propriety and
exploitation. But I know there are lots of other reasons people have to
be interested, and we don't live in a perfect world, and most of us live
in societies where money is necessary.

Best wishes all,
Mark