[FM Discuss] update

John Curwood marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz
Mon Jun 21 12:06:37 PDT 2010

hi Guys,

There is a couple of things I noticed this morning on the Booki
Publisher bookinfo plugin.

1 - I was looking at the Visibility feature for books and after many
trials of making books visible and invisible, I quite by chance made all
the audio books invisible. When I reloaded the clean.flossmanuals page
the audio heading was still visible, but with no books listed under it.
I thought since the books were invisible I should make the heading
invisible as well so I deleted Audio from the category field for the two
audio books, and then when I reloaded the clean.flossmanuals page there
was a blank category with no heading and no manuals listed, where the
audio category used to be.  I have currently set the
clean.flossmanuals.net page up like this so you can see what I mean.  My
suggestion is that it looks better having a named category without any
books listed than having a blank category with no name sitting in the FM
front page so when Save changes is clicked in the Bookinfo plugin it
should check to make sure there is an entry in the category field for
each book and if not it should request that a category is entered before
proceeding.

2 - In the current FM front page you can filter what manuals are
displayed via operating system, I think it would be useful to also have
this feature in the bookinfo plugin.  I have used FM before to decide
what software to get to do a particular task, when I did this I filtered
the front page for my operating system and then just looked at the
manuals that were still visible to see which one looked like the best
solution for my needs. Having that filter in place prevented me from
it wasn't available for my OS.  If you were to go and the filters I
would suggest an extra option for webapps.  There are now a grow number
of webapps that have manuals at FM and it would be useful to include the
filter for people who are looking for web-based solutions such as
CiviCRM and Booki.

Sorry I seem to have started ranting. 8-D

cheers,

John