[FM Discuss] booki : new layout tools

John Curwood marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz
Tue Jun 22 17:54:01 PDT 2010

hi adam,

I've put the new settings and some of the old ones as well through their
paces.  Here is the link to the Book formatted PDF for my testing:
http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/thetestingbook-en-2010.06.23-02.39.00.pdf
and here is the link to the web formatted PDF:
http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/thetestingbook-en-2010.06.23-02.42.27.pdf

Things have been rendered slightly differently between the two systems.
Namely the links to the footnotes, the work in the web PDF but send you
to the top of the Introduction section in the book PDF.

The major thing I noticed is that the Formulas didn't render at in in
either format.

All the character and paragraph formatting worked Great.
The special characters all rendered well.

The page break also rendered fine in both formats.

I would just like to add a comment about the footnotes.  In the book
formatted pdf it would be nice for them to be able to appear at the
bottom of the page they are referenced on to save flicking back and
fourth between pages.  When I have read books with footnotes just at the
end of the chapter or even in the appendix at the end of a book if find
it incredible frustrating to read, flicking back and forth between what
I'm reading and the footnote.  Of course this doesn't apply with the web
pdf, the footnotes can go anywhere since you can link back and forth
between them effortlessly.

Cheers,

John