[FM Discuss] Does FLOSS Manuals hurt other doc efforts?

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Wed Nov 17 07:21:18 PST 2010

Here in Finland people doing Linux.fi wiki seem to think that there should
be only one open source documentation wiki, which would be their wiki. Of
course it is a limited language area which has less people who would be able
or interested to contribute to a documentation project like this. Anyhow
Linux.fi is mostly shorter articles while FLOSS Manuals has long manuals, so
I don't see these as overlapping projects. It is similar to the relationship
between Wikipedia and Wikibooks.

2010/11/17 Scott Nesbitt <nesbitt.scott at gmail.com>

> This is something that Adam and I have been discussing in a few emails, and
> now it's time to take the idea to the wider list for comment.
>
> Here's the background: last month, I did a presentation about FLOSS Manuals
> at the Free Software Open Source Symposium. During the presentation (and a
> couple of times during the day) people asked me if FLOSS Manuals drives
> people away from the "official" documentation. I try to explain that one of
> the goals of FLOSS Manuals is to get people up and running with whatever
> technology quickly and in a very friendly way. But FMs don't cover
> everything -- FLOSS Manuals gets you going. If you want to delve deep, deep
> into the software or technology, the official docs are still there. That
> seems to get them even more interested.
>
> But that question showed something of a gap in perception, IMO. In my mind,
> it's not FLOSS Manuals vs. the official documentation or other docs/sources
> of information. There's not such thing as too much documentation and no one
> source can be THE source. FM doesn't try to be the last word in
> documentation. It doesn't answer all the questions or have all the
> information. The FM should (and usually does) point people to other sources
> of documentation so they can get a deeper view.
>
> So, what are your thoughts on this? Does FLOSS Manuals hurt, hinder, or put
> into the shade other documentation efforts? Or are we one big ecosystem,
> living in something akin to symbiosis (or commensalism)? Let's get some
> discussion going!
>
> I'm looking forward to your comments. Which, unfortunately, I won't be able
> to read until this evening (Eastern time) :-)
>
> Scott

Best Regards
Tomi Toivio
Open Source Coordinator