[FM Discuss] Does FLOSS Manuals hurt other doc efforts?

Daniel Reetz danreetz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 07:59:09 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Mark <mark.brennan at gmx.com> wrote:
> I think that it is instructive to take a look at the commercial software
> world, specifically Microsoft Outlook. Whether you like Microsoft or not, it
> does believe that the availability of documentation helps promote and sell
> its products. It doesn’t seem to think that third party documentation hurts
> the official documentation.

It might be informative to:

1. link to
2. discuss
3. recommend

the official documentation and other books somewhere in each FLOSS
manual as a matter of policy. When these questions come up, you can
simply point to those alternatives being up-front and available. Then
the true nature of these responses will become clear.

I love what you're doing and I think it has huge benefits for
everyone, so it pains me to hear these kinds of problems coming up.
Daniel Reetz
www.diybookscanner.org