[FM Discuss] Does FLOSS Manuals hurt other doc efforts?

Mark mark.brennan at gmx.com
Wed Nov 17 07:50:54 PST 2010

I think that it is instructive to take a look at the commercial software
world, specifically Microsoft Outlook. Whether you like Microsoft or
not, it does believe that the availability of documentation helps
promote and sell its products. It doesn't seem to think that third party
documentation hurts the official documentation. If you go to Amazon and
search for "Outlook email" you get over 700 hits (if you search for
only "Outlook" you get over 100,000). It certainly benefits MS and its
customers to have so much documentation available. From a marketing
point of view, the presence of all this documentation helps prove
the "dominance" of Outlook in the marketplace and it shows that many
people think it is something worth knowing about. For users, they can
choose a guide that meets their specific needs. They don't have to use
documentation that they may find difficult to use or that they do not
understand.

In this case, what works for Microsoft would also work for free
software. It's good for users to have different types and styles of
documentation to choose from. If someone searches for "Thunderbird
manual" and gets a list of ten to choose from, she may see that
Thunderbird is part of the ecosystem that Scott mentioned. She may then
decide to use Thunderbird because there are more resources to use to
help resolve problems or answer questions. Once she starts using
Thunderbird, she may use the FM manual to learn how to perform a task
and then use the official documentation to understand how to configure
something. Next, she may tell a friend about Thunderbird and that friend
may use only the official docs and Google to figure things out. It goes
on and on. The availability of documentation helps further the use of
the product and it helps people understand how to better use it.

Finally, I have a question of my own: Do people think that FM hurts
other documentation efforts by taking technical writers away from
working on the official documentation? I don't think that this is true
but I'd like to hear what others think about this.