[FM Discuss] Does FLOSS Manuals hurt other doc efforts?

Scott Nesbitt nesbitt.scott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:20:06 PST 2010

Some interesting thoughts. Yes, there is a bit or territorial feeling even
in the FLOSS world. Being from the technical writer from the corporate
world, I see that all the time and think it's a very bad move to ignore
other sources of information and other points of view.

That said, this sort of thing won't disappear overnight. A couple of people
on this thread talked about including a section in a FLOSS Manual that
points to other sources of documentation and information. We tried to do
that in the Thunderbird book and I think we kind of succeeded.

Maybe the head honcho can mandate that such a section be part of FMs from
now on. Doing something like that is simply an attempt at holding out an
olive branch. It exposes readers of FLOSS Manuals to the wider ecosphere of
documentation.