[FM Discuss] Does FLOSS Manuals hurt other doc efforts?

Elisa Godoy de Castro Guerra elisa.dcg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:27:01 PST 2010

Hello,

I'm the french manager of FM-fr.
I'm on inkscape team as a docwriter.

For us the official manual of Inkscape is on FM. Exist several manuals
online, but others are non official, and they are quite good too !
Some of the author on the official manual in FM are author in traditional
edition (eyrolles, pearson), well, no one are really techwriter ... but it's
pretty near (maybe) ;)

As a manager of Fm-fr, i'm beguining some professionnal contact in relation
at FLOSS Manuals.
One of the contact was with STC France. It's the French "chapter" of STC (
http://stcfrance.org/) their are full of technical writer ! Professionnel
technical writer !

We have a call together about 45 min, to speak about STC and FM-fr, and the
man ask me (i don't remember exactly his words, but get just the idea)
If i know they are a lot of technical writer who do this job :D

I meet the association in january, so let see their reaction when i speak
about FM-fr and booksprint :)

(One of the question is : "How do you suceed to write a chapter less than in
4 months ?"

Sorry for my english,
Elisa

2010/11/17 Adam Feuer <adamf at pobox.com>

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Scott Nesbitt <nesbitt.scott at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So, what are your thoughts on this? Does FLOSS Manuals hurt, hinder, or
> put
> > into the shade other documentation efforts? Or are we one big ecosystem,
> > living in something akin to symbiosis (or commensalism)? Let's get some
> > discussion going!
>
> Folks,
>
> For the Mifos project (http://mifos.com / http://mifos.org) FLOSS
> Manuals _is_ our official documentation.
>
> Without FM, we wouldn't be able to ship a high-quality, translated
> manual in any reasonable amount of time and money. With FM - we did,
> and are currently translating the work into even more languages.
>
> -adam
> --
> Adam Feuer <adamf at pobox dot com>

Elisa