[FM Discuss] Does FLOSS Manuals hurt other doc efforts?

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Thu Nov 18 10:43:01 PST 2010

i would say that any good manual would also include references to other
helpful resources. i don't think it needs to be mandated or set down as
a rule but when i am writing a manual i think, what do i want in a
manual? & references to other (useful) documentation is something i want.

bearing in mind that the documentation provided by the software makers
is not always the most useful! ;)

h : )

On 18/11/10 2:32 PM, adam wrote:
> slippery slope.....
>
> i would prefer not since we dont have any rules and we seem to be
> functioning ok. if you look at each manual i think there is already a
> section in almost every manual pointing to other resources...if we add
> one 'firm suggestion' it might at some point become 2, then three and
> then before you know it people are policing this and turning it into a
> religion ... i have the same position regarding style sheets etc.... so
> far we seem to be doing fine without the need to ask for these things to
> be considered....
>
> thats my 2 cents...
>
> adam
>

> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 08:03 -0500, Scott Nesbitt wrote:
>> Maybe "mandate" was a bit too harsh a term. Encourage might be a
>> better way to phrase it.
>>
>> Would it be possible to, say, add a note to the outline page of the
>> editing interface to ask contributors to consider adding a section or
>> chapter pointing to other sources of information? Something like that
>> keeps the idea in front of people without being too overbearing.

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz