[FM Discuss] Issues with migration to booki.flossmanuals.net

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 12:10:58 PST 2010

I have migrated my two books to booki.flossmanuals.net.  In the
process I have uncovered some issues:

1).  When you import a book it gives the book the name that you use in
the Table of Contents.  This is something I wish I knew before I did
the import!  I was able to give Make Your Own Sugar Activities! a
correct name, but E-Book Enlightenment is now known as An E-Book
Revolution (a title I was using for awhile, until everyone started
liking cover art that didn't go with it) and there is no way to change
it.

2).  The links for images in the imported books might be wrong.  The
images have links like this:

/an-e-book-revolution/_v/1.0/static/ReadingandSugar-enlightenment-en.png

I believe there will be problems with exporting the books unless the
links are changed to something like:

static/ReadingandSugar-enlightenment-en.png

3).  For the page template used to display the book pages, the
stylesheet has the center of the page less than 600 pixels wide.
Since the usual size for images in manuals is 600 pixels wide, this
means the images bleed over into the right hand side of the page.  On
one of the increasingly common widescreen monitors the right hand side
of the page is almost half the available width and contains nothing
but a cross-hatch background.  Really the right side of the page
should be a fixed width and the center should expand to make the best
use of screen real estate.  You could also argue that the right side
could be eliminated entirely, since it contains no content.

Other than these gripes, the imports went OK.

Thanks,

James Simmons