[FM Discuss] circumvention sprint

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 11:59:53 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 14:15, adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> in a house with 8 circumvention people updating the how to by pass
> internet censorship book. i think its going to be an *excellent*
> update...

Why didn't I hear about this before? I'll be working online.

> release day is friday 1800 (CET)

What's the plan? What needs updating? Are we going to talk about what
has happened in Iran and the Arabic-speaking countries?

Can we talk about what to do when the entire national Internet is shut
down? Some Libyans were using satellite and international dial-up
connections, but now the mobile phone system is down, and many
landlines, too. This can't last, of course.

Countries that have tried shutting down their Internet:
Nepal (King overthrown.)
India in Jammu and Kashmir (restored after six months.)
Egypt (Mubarak out.)
Libya (We'll see.)

Countries that have refused to allow Internet:
China (gradually opened up but censored heavily)
Burma (gradually opened up but censored heavily)
North Korea (Army and Party only)

Sub-Saharan Africa is still in the process of getting its first or
second fiber optic cable installed and connected, and deploying
services or bringing prices down.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/