[FM Discuss] Importing DocBooks

Janet Swisher jmswisher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:57:46 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Vito Smolej <smolejv at gmx.net> wrote:
> S, adam piše:
>> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 08:56 -0600, James Simmons wrote:
>>> Vito,
>>>
>>> I believe that DocBook can be used to generate HTML.  If you do that,
>>> you could set up a manual in Booki, create empty chapters, and copy
>>> and paste each HTML chapter into the Booki chapter using a web
>>> browser.  It would be tedious, but Booki would preserve your
>>> formatting.  I have imported more than a few things into my Booki at
>>> home and at work using this technique.
>> if you can convert docbook to html then its not too big a step to write
>> the plugin to do it automagically i think..
>>
>> adam
>>
> Of course I can generate the HTML targets. However, while DocBook > HTML
> works, HTML > DocBook does not. In other words things,  put into the
> DocBook code with a lot of care and syntax checking etc,  get
> metabolized / thrown away. My concern is of course that I would have to
> put them in again. Well, one way to check it ;)

Well, converting back again is a different question -- you hadn't
mentioned that part :-)

What is the workflow that you're hoping to create, that requires a
round-trip from DocBook to booki and back again?

For DocBook-to-booki, if you want to preserve the semantic markup from
DocBook, perhaps you could tweak the transformation to stick the
DocBook tag names into class or id attributes on the HTML elements.
(Easy for me to say, never having tried it.) People on one of the
DocBook mailing lists (http://www.docbook.org/guidelines) would know
more about that than folks here.

--Janet