[FM Discuss] Importing DocBooks

Vito Smolej smolejv at gmx.net
Tue Jan 4 21:53:59 PST 2011

> Well, converting back again is a different question -- you hadn't
> mentioned that part :-)
>
> What is the workflow that you're hoping to create, that requires a
> round-trip from DocBook to booki and back again?
My intention was not to start with DocBook and end there again after a
round trip, what for... What I meant was the work necessary on the leg
HTML to booki: either there's little or none, so booki provides less
semantics in its structure than DocBook; or I have to add back again,
what has been stripped off on the leg down from DocBook > HTML.
> For DocBook-to-booki, if you want to preserve the semantic markup from
> DocBook, perhaps you could tweak the transformation to stick the
> DocBook tag names into class or id attributes on the HTML elements.
> (Easy for me to say, never having tried it.) People on one of the
> DocBook mailing lists (http://www.docbook.org/guidelines) would know
> more about that than folks here.
... which means I have to read about the tags accepted / acceptable. The
best of course (sigh) would be to have some kind of a booki.dtd, so this
"tweak-transformation" could be done directly and not via HTML.