[FM Discuss] Unicode fonts with complete Italics and Bolds

Vito Smolej smolejv at gmx.net
Tue Jan 4 22:01:22 PST 2011

S, Lachlan Musicman piše:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 05:07, Vito Smolej <smolejv at gmx.net> wrote:
>>  From all the fonts I tested, when they have the full character set
>> (e.g., MS
>>
>> Arial Unicode), they have no bold and italic for the Latin characters. This
>> is not usable, because some parts with English in bold and italic might
>> still appear in say, a Japanese localization. With a font without bold and
>> italic, all I get in the target PDF is question marks instead of the
>> characters.
>>
>> Would anyone know of a suitable font, preferably free, or freeware if no
>> free one is available?
> Unfortunately there are very few all-purpose fonts, (ie, has full
> unicode, including bold and italic) so we may have to offer a
> collection that together cover the whole set. What specifically were
> you after that you didn't get? I don't quite understand since your
> email seems to propose a potential problem rather than an exact
> problem...
>
> What I'm trying to say is: what characters are you missing, we can
> find something that fills the gap. It may be that some books will have
> to have a smattering of fonts through it to properly express the
> authors intention - annoying, but not debilitatingly so.
>
> cheers
> L.

 I appologize: I am fishing for the said font in the context outside
booki (for now).  It is OmegaT documentation - see
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/files/2-%20Documentation/: -
we have a load of western kind of languages, and then Chinese, Japanese
and it is a horror with fonts.

It may look like I am poaching, but otoh I see booki as a possible haven
for the work we have been doing - see Re: [FM Discuss] Importing DocBooks

Thank you in any case!

smo