[FM Discuss] Unicode fonts with complete Italics and Bolds

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:29:02 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 05:07, Vito Smolej <smolejv at gmx.net> wrote:
>  From all the fonts I tested, when they have the full character set
> (e.g., MS
>
> Arial Unicode), they have no bold and italic for the Latin characters. This
> is not usable, because some parts with English in bold and italic might
> still appear in say, a Japanese localization. With a font without bold and
> italic, all I get in the target PDF is question marks instead of the
> characters.
>
> Would anyone know of a suitable font, preferably free, or freeware if no
> free one is available?

Unfortunately there are very few all-purpose fonts, (ie, has full
unicode, including bold and italic) so we may have to offer a
collection that together cover the whole set. What specifically were
you after that you didn't get? I don't quite understand since your
email seems to propose a potential problem rather than an exact
problem...

What I'm trying to say is: what characters are you missing, we can
find something that fills the gap. It may be that some books will have
to have a smattering of fonts through it to properly express the
authors intention - annoying, but not debilitatingly so.

cheers
L.

> TiA
>
> smo

"... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an
interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself
in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me
staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such
a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up
and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still
frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be
alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to
have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by
surprise."
Douglas Adams