[FM Discuss] starting a manual ...

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Wed Jan 5 00:50:06 PST 2011

it is good if a manual can be in more than one group.

i think  people would look for the UpStage manual in a group called any
of "digital arts", "the arts" or "net arts" (the "s" is important
because when people see "art" they tend to think visual/object art as
opposed to performing arts). i don't understand why the adjective
"digital" would cause jealousy or confusion ... ?

h : )

On 5/01/11 6:07 AM, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I think that this particular project should be in a category such as
> "net art" or "web". I think that creating a category such as "digital"
> might cause jealousy and confusion. I would not, personally, create
> art with Adobe Flash.
>
> 2011/1/4 James Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com>:
>> It looks like you can add your own manuals to as many Groups as you
>> like.  For instance, we could have an "Education" group and put my
>> OLPC books in there too, or a "Python" group and put "Make Your Own
>> Sugar Activities!" in there too.  Maybe a "Publishing" group and put
>> the Booki manual plus my own "E-Book Enlightenment" and quite a few
>> others as well.
> Let's look how Debian does it. http://packages.debian.org/stable/
>
> Each package can only be in one section. This avoids confusion and
> requires more thinking from the packager. In which category would this
> package be the most easily found?
>
> In Debian, such a project would be in the "non-free" repositories
> (since it uses Adobe Flash) in the "Web Software" section.
>
> My two cents.
> Best,

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz