[FM Discuss] Xinha editor for math (was Re: some wishes ...)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:41:07 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 13:25, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 18:44, Lachlan Musicman <datakid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 21:54, adam <adam at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> no sorry. we have a lot to do at the moment and this is not yet floating
>>> at the top of the list.

Would it float up faster if I started a math book?

>>> If anyone can look at the xinha editor:
>>> http://xinha.webfactional.com/
>>>
>>> and tell us how it should work then maybe we can sort it quicker
>
> I would be happy to. What are the questions to be answered?

I took a quick look. The formula editor is fairly powerful, but is it
trivially easy to break formula code with no indication what is wrong.
My immediate thought is that it should not be possible to edit a
formula as if it were text, that formulas should be blocks that you
can't put a cursor into, but you can easily select as a whole and go
into the formula editor. This is how we did it in FrameMaker all those
years when I was a commercial tech writer.

I assume that there is Free Software to translate from MathML to TeX.
What about going the other way?

I'll have more to tell you later.
http://www.earthtreasury.org/